Given the size of the original Banneker School, it is hard to imagine many students occupying it. It is documented that in 1902 bids were sought for the construction of a new, larger educational facility. It is uncertain when the original Banneker School ceased to operate, but it is believed to be circa 1905. The school was named for Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806), an African American who sought after knowledge in many areas, as well as fought for the freedom of his race. He was an extremely intelligent individual, most notably teaching himself about astronomy and producing several publications on the subject.